Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Rubber Band

So, yesterday I was given a lovely bracelet by my boss, in fact, everyone was. Generous one might say....

It was a rubber band!

What was I going to do with this?!

Wear it for 30 days and anytime I thought a negative thought or called myself a name, I was to snap my wrist with it. "Come on, this is stupid", I thought.

SNAP....

That hurt!!!!!

Through my day yesterday, I found that I was snapping myself fairly often. How negative was I really. I have always thought of myself as a upbeat, positive person. Guess not.

The point of this, to change my thinking and in turn change my life. While my boss intended this to be used to boost office moral (we are new home sales people in a 4 year recession!), I will be taking it to a new level.....

My Level!

I heard a great quote the other night on my drive home

"The light that shines within will always cancel the dark from without."

I get it, as Oprah would say I had my Ahha moment. Thinking negative, even little thoughts, will lead to a negative outlook on life and in turn (at least in my case) will lead to the downward spiral over the fear of what might happen tomorrow. I am not living in the now. I have to start thinking positive and my mood will lighten. I will enjoy more. I will create better relationships around me. I will be able to enjoy all the moments and not worry about tomorrows unknowns. Perhaphs even my daughter will become a positive thinker. After all, parents lead through their actions, not words.

This is not to say bad thoughts shouldn't happen. They do and they will, but make them constructive and learn from them or fix them. Don't always have a negative though when hearing something new for the first time. Have a happy thought about the new adventures you might have. It will make the experience better.

STOP

Think about everything in your life that makes it great....

Me, I am thankful for

1. My Kids (all of them, technically I have given birth once and have a step daughter but I love children, and am an Auntie to many more.)




2. My Husband, what a great man




3. My Family, crazy as they may be sometimes, they are always there for me

4. My Home, squishy, sometimes loud and always full of love and laughter



5. My Health, knock on wood

And so much more.

This is my year and over the next 30 days I am taking control of my life. I have worried about it for too long and now it is time to start living!!!

I will think positive, I am a positive person and I am worth it!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Shannon!

    I love your words! I really loved the quote about the light from within canceling the dark on the out.

    You are a great writer!

    Do post more! I will add you to my blog's sidebar so I can keep up with you! Hope you are well!

    Meghan :)

    ReplyDelete